Monday, March 1, 2010

although my coughing fits are tons of fun, today i decided that i needed to seek medical attention. luckily for me, i have a wonderful program director here named dr. macfarlane, who helped me set up a doctor's appointment. we called and i was booked for 2, right after my british literature class. we talked about keats in class today and how he accomplished so much in only 26 years of life. we studied one of his poems "ode to a nightingale" in which he discusses how the nightingale's song is so painfully beautiful that he wants to die listening to it. i know i've chosen graphic design as my major and i'm confident that it's the path i want to take, but i have so much passion for literature. the written word really gets me going sometimes.

anyway, after class i got semi-dressed and went off to go to the doctor. it was the most gorgeous day i've ever seen in london yet. clear skies, probably 55 degrees. i went to the doctor. by myself, which was weird. i am so used to being surrounded by at least 4 girls that i felt really strange doing something on my own today. it was a nice change, but i'm sure that when i get home and adjust to normal life again, i will miss the constant companionship i have here.

my doctor. experience was wonderful. i was kind of interested to experience socialized medicine but turns out i went to a private doctor. he was great. he looked in my mouth, used his stethoscope on my chest and back, peeked into my ears, asked me some questions, and then diagnosed me with bronchitis. apparently my lungs are filled with fluid gunk. he told me it was a good thing i came in because illnesses like this can turn into pneumonia, etc. he gave me some pills and told me i should be feeling a whole lot better by thursday. i came home and lectured all of the girls on the importance of going to the doctor. pneumonia is nothing to mess with.
we had homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner. it was so delish. the lady who runs this house, terry, is such a gem. she makes all the food and buys all of our tickets and organizes our trips and books our hotels. when i grow up i want to be like terry. after dinner we went to see "leap year". we hadn't been to that theater before and i was ecstatic to discover that they had a ben and jerry's in the lobby. small cookie dough please. definitely hit the spot. the movie was cute and predictable and made me miss that hunky man in my life and it was everything a chick-flick should be. so i left satisfied. and not just because i was full of ice cream, but because my little heart was content and optimistic and glad to be in love with someone who makes me feel giddy.
love is real. 
i always say that but i really mean it when i do. it's not just something imaginary you see in movies, it really does exist. and i'm so happy i've found it.

1 comment:

Kelsy Alsup said...

oh emma, i can just see you coming home to us and lecturing us on how important it is to go to the doctor with first symptoms! you are going to be an amazing mother, i love you. i miss you! feel better!!